A Family Story

A Family Story

Thursday, November 18, 2010

I miss a little town east of here

It is November 18. It is November Eighteenth. It is Nov. 18th. It is 11/18/2010.

Ok it's official. No matter how you write it, it still looks like Christmas is seriously right around the corner. No scratch that, it looks like Christmas is literally in your drive-way.

I'm so unprepared this year. I mean, hardly have bought one thing. No decorations are out yet. I just don't have it all together.

I have plenty of excuses. However, I need to get the ball rolling.

I have been really lucky in just enjoying my life instead of jumping on board to the fast paced holiday season. It just gets so busy, sometimes it's nice to just "take a relax" as my daughter would put it.

One thing about this time of year when the weather is turning cold and staying cold is that it makes me really homesick. I yearn to be back in my small little town, as a young girl, where the walls to my bedroom wall were so thin I could hear the crickets outside chirping.

Growing up we didn't have any street lights (although we lived smack dab in the middle of town) and so the only light we would have, if we were lucky, came from the moon. Two words: Meteor Shower. How lucky was I to get to watch those all the time?

No central heating and air, so we shared one space heater to help keep us warm at night. My sisters and I would wear huge, heavy socks, that belonged to my dad and long nightgowns and stand in front of the heater. We quickly learned if you get your socks and clothes HOT from standing in front of the space heater, you could take off running to your bed and you could warm up your cold bed faster.

I miss walking outside to "going nextdoor" in the dark to a friend's house. Listening to nature all around me and hearing rustling of....well....something. It would just about scare the heebeejeebies out of you. But somehow you always knew you were safe, and that you were just a few steps away from home.

I miss the days when my dad would make a 'pot of beans' to make my tummy happy and all my sadness go away.





I even miss the misty mornings in the pineywoods. I just love this picture I found taken just right outside a park in Gilmer. A little eerie but just an adventurous road.





Right around this time, I miss my little town.

11.18.10

No comments:

Post a Comment