A Family Story

A Family Story

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Liquid Courage

I attended my first 'real' grown up cocktail party. Well I should really say that I attended my first 'real' grown up cocktail party that wasn't a Christmas celebration, or a birthday party, or an office celebration. It was a cocktail party at David Gardner's Jewelers. A Little Black Dress kind of night. My job was to sell raffle tickets for our Charity Ball coming up in November. The raffle tickets, while expensive, are for a great cause. But when we arrived to sign in and gather our tickets I was just really nervous. Not because I couldn't sell these tickets, but just because everyone looked so nice!!

The bartender told me not to worry because she had liquid courage behind the counter.

I couldn't resist.

"What's that?" I asked her with eyes wide open, thinking to myself, this sounds amazing, it's exactly what I NEED!

"Oh, you know, beer and wine." Replied the nice bartender.

Ok, now this sounds great. Beer and wine. Mixed together to make liquid courage. Well I like beer. And I like wine...so I will probably like liquid courage! I was so excited that I was going to get to try liquid courage. And when I actually need it most too!

"Ok, I'll be back!" I told the bartender. I just wanted to make a round around the place and scout out my options to sell to people first.

A little later on in the evening, feeling defeated, and watching the room fill up with tons and tons of people. Not selling any tickets whatsoever...another server came up to me and asked if I'd like something to drink, and I ordered liquid courage. My friend Jamie told the server, "No, she will take the same thing I'm drinking."

"No...I-"

Jamie cut me off.

"She'll take what I'm drinking, two white wine's please."

I was then informed the news I couldn't believe was true. Liquid courage is not a an actual beverage. It is a just a name for alcohol.

Didn't know this. But before you attend a black tie affair, maybe you should.

Or maybe bartender's shouldn't go around calling beer and wine liquid courage...

Ok, or maybe I should have just known this being 27 and all.

At least I made the people standing around me laugh. YOU know, that lady who actually thought that she was ordering a beverage called liquid courage. =]

No comments:

Post a Comment