A Family Story

A Family Story

Thursday, January 26, 2012

First They Came...

 
When I was in eighth grade we began learning about WWII.  
In class that year we debated various injustices and discussed why
It’s important for people to take a stand,
even if the battle wasn't directly 'any of their concern'.  

The poem below taught me that sometimes in life when others 
or  myself are being treated unfairly,
it is my job as a human being to stand my ground, 
even if sometimes I shouldn't be involved.  
Even if sometimes I should look away.
Even if sometimes I'm scared.

Sometimes right and wrong isn't that simple.  
Sometimes it's a gray area.  
Sometimes being neutral is ok. 
And sometimes being neutral is not ok.

             First They Came...
First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak out because I was Protestant.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.


by:  Pastor Martin Niemoller 

No comments:

Post a Comment