A Family Story

A Family Story

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Tye Dye.

So, occasionally I will ask friends/acquaintances, ok pretty much anyone I know for their favorite past time activities they do with their kiddos.  I love to hear what other people do from project to project to tradition to just their family "THING".

My favorite kind of people to ask though, strangely enough, are not even parents yet. They are college students.  I love to hear what kind of things they remembered when they were kids.  So, I'll ask, what did you do for this holiday, this special time, were there any projects that just stand out to you more than others, and you'd be surprised at the kind of random things they remember doing as a child with their parents.

How wonderful to have these memories as a new adult-starting to find your own way through life.

So, these sweet college aged students are my favorite people to ask when I'm planning projects for the weekend with my girls. Luckily, I happen to have two great student workers at the office right now.  They have great ideas. They are better than googling anything.  Hands down their amazing ideas are so simple, and work everytime.

And maybe my girls will grow up and remember "this one time, my mom and I, we......".

Tye Dye Project:

sharpee markers
t shirt/socks/whatever you want to tye dye!
rubbing alcohol
spray bottle/cotton balls/q tips
cups
rubber bands
Total Spent on project: est. $20.00

For my two year old I let her use q tips dipped in rubbing alcohol, for my six year old, I allowed her to use a spray bottle. This is seriously one of the easiest projects I've ever done.  And surprisingly, NOT MESSY.  I did wash the shirts the day after they wore them, alone by themselves in the washer with regular detergent, and they did not wash out.  They did fade a little bit, but I thought it looked even better with a touch of fade.

Here are our pictures =)











No comments:

Post a Comment