A Family Story

A Family Story

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Yamboree/Ten Year Reunion

My hometown has a festival.

It's called the Yamboree.

No use in explaining it.

If you are born or live there, you somehow just get it. 

It's almost bigger than Christmas. Almost.

Like I said, no use in explaining it.

I  hadn't been in a few years and forgot just how important this time of year is to my small East Texas town.

It also happened to mark a new dawn of age. I got to attend my ten year reunion, and I can say that it was absolutely wonderful to catch up with so many people.  A little awkward, but nice.  I think it's always nice to take a trip down memory lane even if sometimes you don't want to.  (I was kinda nerdy in High School.) Or at least felt that way.  WHO DOESN'T?


Anyway, here's my mix of a great Yamboree celebration, shaken with a great Ten Years of freedom from High School!










Call me Crazy, but I'm proud to be from a small East Texas Town. 
Things are just done differently there, and staying true to your roots doesn't seem too crazy when time runs slower. 
I love the way no one is rushing around at rush hour.
I love the way men respect women.
I love the little country diners, and how at Yamboree time the whole town gets into it and draws amazing pictures all over the business windows.
I love the smell of corn dogs only because it reminds me of the Yamboree.
And I love seeing all the smiling faces walking around.
The High School students think they are king of the world. I love that too.
No other place is grander.
But, like I said, it's really hard to explain....
=)

No comments:

Post a Comment