A Family Story

A Family Story

Monday, October 18, 2010

Peanut. Peanut Butter and Jelly

Peanut Butter Oh Peanut Butter. Jacee-Kay's favorite snack. As soon as she was old enough to eat peanut butter, she did. Her favorite was grape jelly and peanut butter sandwhiches. She would rather eat that than anything else in the world. Which was a good thing because we just didn't have the money for much else. In fact we were scraping by on peanut butter sandwhiches, ramen noodles, and would even reuse water bottles by filling them back up with tap water. Yes, we were broke. The two of us girls against the world. We are so blessed with our new baby sister and Dougie who takes care of us three girls.

Poor Jacee-Kay. Her love for peanut butter has put us in a slight predicament. You see this year when she started pre-k, I would send her to school with her usual peanut butter and jelly sandwhich. (Although Dougie got her started on Strawberry jellly instead of Grape jelly. He won't eat his any other way...ok ok he's right strawberry is better than grape what were we thinking?)

But about a week into school we received an email from her teacher telling us that there was a child in school who had severe allergies to peanut butter and that unfortunately they were so severe that no one could bring peanuts or peanut butter to school. Of course how could I explain this to Jacee-Kay. Her most beloved meal for lunch is no longer allowed. I for one understand the rule and want to teach Jacee-Kay to be considerate of other people's allergic reactions. I feel worse for the poor kiddo who cannot have peanuts. No child should be deprived of such a wonderful thing as a pb&j sandwhich.

So, I found something called Sunbutter. Made with sunflower seeds instead of peanuts. I said to myself...."self...this is just the ticket!"

No. This was not just the ticket. I switched on her the very next week at school. And darn, you know what?! Jacee-Kay knows when I use sunbutter instead of real peanut butter. She gets so confused. She will ask me why I try to trick her. I just laugh because she's right, I do try and trick her. Only because I know she won't eat it if it's not really real peanut butter. So smart that Sweet Four year old of mine is.

No comments:

Post a Comment