A Family Story

A Family Story

Friday, February 10, 2012

Sadie Valentine




 I have never been to Sadie Hawkins before.  My High School did not do this crazy turn around dance where the girl asks the boy.  In a way I'm glad, because I wouldn't have had the courage to ask anyone! and it would've tormented me, stressed me out to do this kinda thing.  
But in a way I'm a little bummed out too because this would have been so much fun. 

The High School my husband attended had a Sadie Hawkins Dance and it's kinda of a big deal and a great memory (even if he doesn't admit that it's a big deal) The girls can simply just ask the guy out OR they can create a neat crafty way to do it.  

February is Sadie's month here.

The sweet girl who cuts my hair (and went to the same high school as my husband) told me that normally a girl makes a little basket for her date as a way to ask him and fills it up with some of his favorite things. Are you kidding me! That's awesome! So thus, I stole this idea as my own for my husband's Valentine's Day gift.  It's not much and we are definitely into saving money these days.  But I came up with some craft inventions of my own to stuff the basket without breaking the bank.

AND

I get to ask out a boy for the first time.
Not just any boy though, my prince.

=)

One of my favorite things I stuffed in this basket was an origami paper fold that we learned when we were in grade school.  It only took me about 12 practice tries.  I finally got it perfected.  Here's how it's done:

ok start with a square paper, and fold the four corners all the way in, until the corners are in the center.

Now you should be looking at a smaller square.

Turn the whole thing over so that the back (the smooth part) is facing you...

Fold the four corners of the smaller square in, toward you, until the corners are in the center.

With the part you just folded face UP, fold the whole thing in half.

Put your thumb and forefingers underneath the outer layers and and push inward.
Viola.

It's the simple, free things like a piece of paper note, that makes my heart swoon the most. 

No comments:

Post a Comment